Fairfields School is the lead school for the partnership; University of Derby is our university provider. We are recruiting places for Primary School direct to start in September 2022.
Our trainees are well supported by a team including a school-based mentor (trained and inducted by the University of Derby), a link tutor (who makes periodic visits to the student in their placement school), our School Direct Lead and the team here at Fairfields. We work very closely together to support each individual trainee with their bespoke training plan – a characteristic feature of our course.
We can match trainee to school intelligently, with connections to a wide range of schools across the county and beyond. This includes small and large primaries, special schools and units. Wherever possible, placements are made through consultation and we try to avoid long daily journeys (including during second placements).
Employment prospects at the end of our programme are excellent, due to our excellent relationship with a wide range of schools across the county and beyond. 100% of our trainees have been employed within 6 months of completing the programme.
Our track record
- 2014-2015: 20 students successfully qualified to become teachers and gained employment in schools across our county.
- 2015-2016: 15 students successfully completed their initial teacher training.
- 2016-2017: Another cohort of 15 trainees successfully qualified.
- 2017-2018: 13 trainees successfully qualified.
- 2018-2019: 25 students successfully completed their training year with 100% achieving good or better and 56% outstanding.
- 2019-2020: 17 students successfully completed their training year with us.
- 2020-2021: 16 students successfully completed their training year with us - we wish them all the best for their ECT years.
- 2021-2022: We have successfully recruited 23 students who start their placements in September 2021 - we wish them every success for the year ahead.
This track record of success in providing School Direct at PGCE level is, we believe, a significant reason why aspiring teachers should consider training with us.
Teaching in Northamptonshire
Northamptonshire needs good teachers. You can find further information on teacher training in the county by visiting http://www.teachnorthamptonshire.com/train-to-teach/. If you are thinking of coming to train with us from outside the County, it’s a great place to be: www.lovenorthamptonshire.com
Thank you for all your support this year. The course has been amazing and I feel incredibly prepared to go on to teach independently next year because of both the nature of the course and the incredible support from all involved - Trainee SP
I think this year has been challenging, but all of us on the course have said many times about the huge support and help we have had from the Teaching School and The University of Derby. So, thank you again for all the support and getting all of us through this year! - Trainee RA
I really must thank you for your support over the year – you have always shown that you were fighting our corner and I know from the group discussions that we have all been grateful for that and impressed with your commitment to us. Nothing has ever been too much trouble. It has also been a really rewarding and positive experience! - Trainee JC
The support I have received from my link tutor and mentor has passed my expectations. The Friday sessions have been great and as a team of students we have really built strong relationships with each other. I have had so much support from Derby with Level 7 work and can't them enough for replying to my 10000 emails! This is a course I will definitely recommend to others and one that I will really miss!! Thank you everyone! Trainee AM